tomee-users mailing list archives

From freeway <...@qad.com>
Subject Re: How can OpenEJB ignore old webapps in Tomcat?
Date Tue, 26 Jan 2010 04:34:42 GMT

Hi David and Jean-Louis,

First of all, I sent an earlier response to Jean-Louis that apparently did
not make it to the forum, so I will repeat the text here.

> Hi Jean-Louis,
>
> Thanks very much for your quick response and interest in this feature.  It
> is definitely a requirement for
> our deployments, as OpenEJB will be supporting an application that will
> run in a shared Tomcat
> environment at virtually all our customer sites.
>
> Another benefit for many use cases would be quicker Tomcat startup time,
> and I have seen some posts
> on this forum indicating that this is also important to some other OpenEJB
> users.
>
> As to how it is implemented, I think the only firm requirement is that it
> be easily configurable at
> deployment time.  Off the top of my head, I would think that new system
> properties and/or openejb.xml
> settings would make the most sense.
>
> Again, let me know how I can help and what your plans are.  I know that we
> would want to use this
> feature to support OpenEJB deployments later this year.

David, your point about the libraries makes very good sense.  In our case,
for example, the application was consciously designed to encapsulate all the
EJBs into a single JAR, so there would no point in having OpenEJB look
anywhere else.  I haven't worked with EJBs enough to have an idea what is
typical, but suspect that many well-packaged apps do something similar.  I
would think that this would also minimize the performance impact of OpenEJB
on the overall environment.  Our goal is to make OpenEJB as unobstrusive a
part of the Tomcat stack as possible, affecting only those apps that we want
it to affect.

Managing the settings in an XML file as you suggest would probably be best.
Other things being equal, I would also prefer to extend an existing config
file such as openejb.xml over adding a new one, in order to minimize the
deployment complexity and number of configuration points that we need to
worry about.  One reason we have migrated our application into Tomcat from
JBoss is to leverage the widely-used and much simpler Tomcat environment, so
the fewer config files one needs to open in order to understand how things
work, the better.

Regards,
Fred