tomee-users mailing list archives

From David Blevins <david.blev...@visi.com>
Subject Re: How can OpenEJB ignore old webapps in Tomcat?
Date Sun, 31 Jan 2010 19:10:54 GMT

On Jan 29, 2010, at 5:17 PM, freeway wrote:

> Hi David,
>
> Yes, context.xml is the logical place to configure webapp-specific
> settings
> that OpenEJB needs to see.  I know that OpenEJB uses (or can use)
> several
> other XML files located in the webapp: ejb-jar.xml, persistence.xml,
> service-jar.xml.  However, the first two of these files have more
> specific
> purposes and should probably be kept compatible with other application
> server environments that use them; and my understanding of service-
> jar.xml
> is that it is intended to specify overrides to internal OpenEJB
> processing
> that most implementers should not need.  The new settings concern the
> 'context' of how the webapp interoperates with OpenEJB, and that
> fits nicely
> with the purpose of context.xml.
>
> One variation of this approach might be to use context.xml to
> configure
> those libraries to be scanned within the webapp, while using <Tomcat
> home>/conf/openejb.xml to specify which webapps should be scanned.
> Implementers could enable/disable the various webapps at a high
> level and
> see the settings in one central location.  Fine-tuning the JARs to be
> covered in each webapp would be done separately.  However, this
> approach has
> the disadvantage of splitting what is probably in practice a single
> configuration decision into several different places.  So overall,
> perhaps
> your idea is best.

Agreed.  Splitting the sources of config information is best avoided.
Too easy to lose a few days to a simple typo in the webapp name in the
"second" source of information.

Context.xml is probably the way to go.

Made a couple JIRAs for the functionality in question so you can use
the JIRA "Watch It" functionality if you like:

-David