tomee-users mailing list archives

From David Blevins <david.blev...@visi.com>
Subject Re: How can OpenEJB ignore old webapps in Tomcat?
Date Fri, 29 Jan 2010 10:09:02 GMT

On Jan 26, 2010, at 5:34 AM, freeway wrote:

> Hi David and Jean-Louis,
>
> First of all, I sent an earlier response to Jean-Louis that
> apparently did
> not make it to the forum, so I will repeat the text here.
>

>> Hi Jean-Louis,
>>
>> Thanks very much for your quick response and interest in this
>> feature.  It
>> is definitely a requirement for
>> our deployments, as OpenEJB will be supporting an application that
>> will
>> run in a shared Tomcat
>> environment at virtually all our customer sites.
>>
>> Another benefit for many use cases would be quicker Tomcat startup
>> time,
>> and I have seen some posts
>> on this forum indicating that this is also important to some other
>> OpenEJB
>> users.
>>
>> As to how it is implemented, I think the only firm requirement is
>> that it
>> be easily configurable at
>> deployment time.  Off the top of my head, I would think that new
>> system
>> properties and/or openejb.xml
>> settings would make the most sense.
>>
>> Again, let me know how I can help and what your plans are.  I know
>> that we
>> would want to use this
>> feature to support OpenEJB deployments later this year.
>

> David, your point about the libraries makes very good sense.  In our
> case,
> for example, the application was consciously designed to encapsulate
> all the
> EJBs into a single JAR, so there would no point in having OpenEJB look
> anywhere else.  I haven't worked with EJBs enough to have an idea
> what is
> typical, but suspect that many well-packaged apps do something
> similar.  I
> would think that this would also minimize the performance impact of
> OpenEJB
> on the overall environment.  Our goal is to make OpenEJB as
> unobstrusive a
> part of the Tomcat stack as possible, affecting only those apps that
> we want
> it to affect.
>
> Managing the settings in an XML file as you suggest would probably
> be best.
> Other things being equal, I would also prefer to extend an existing
> config
> file such as openejb.xml over adding a new one, in order to minimize
> the
> deployment complexity and number of configuration points that we
> need to
> worry about.  One reason we have migrated our application into
> Tomcat from
> JBoss is to leverage the widely-used and much simpler Tomcat
> environment, so
> the fewer config files one needs to open in order to understand how
> things
> work, the better.

I wonder if some entries in the context.xml of the webapp isn't the
best way to go, a few <Parameter> entries for including/excluding jars
in the webapp or skipping the webapp altogether.  Those can be defined
in Tomcat in a few different ways, IIRC.  I'd have to look closer, but
I *think* we have access to those before we start doing our part of
the deployment.

Would something like that fit with your needs?

-David