tomee-users mailing list archives

From Laird Nelson <ljnel...@gmail.com>
Subject Connector Architecture question: where are the network boundaries?
Date Wed, 10 Feb 2010 15:28:26 GMT
This is really more of a specification question, I suppose, but given that
the JCA feedback email address has been dead for years (!) I figured I'd ask
the implementors of my favorite container.  :-)

In an application-client-looking-up-a-resource-adapter-in-JNDI scenario,
what JCA calls are guaranteed to result in network traffic?  What parts of
the JCA infrastructure are guaranteed to be present on the client VM?

I'm writing a resource adapter, complete with ManagedConnectionFactory
implementation, ManagedConnection implementation, etc. etc.

What I can't get through my thick head from the specification or the API is
which parts of this little dance cross the wire.

I feel like I can get a *hint* of which parts cross the wire by looking at
the requirements for Serializable implementations.  It might stand to reason
that an object such as a connection factory that is supposed to be
Serializable will therefore be shipped off to a client VM, such as the one
an application client might run on.

But then other things--like the fact that a connection factory ultimately
vends user connections which must maintain references to ManagedConnections,
which do not have to be Serializable--suggest that it is a requirement of
the application server that it effectively ship its entire connection
pooling mechanism over the wire to the client VM.

But THAT can't be right either.  Some app servers implement database
connection pooling using the JCA.  And remote Java application clients using
those application servers do not end up connecting to the database
themselves.  That is, their database connections originate from the
application server.

Any insight here would be greatly appreciated.  Thanks!

Best,
Laird