tomee-users mailing list archives

From Bruno Dusausoy <bdusau...@yp5.be>
Subject Re: Spring integration
Date Wed, 16 Jun 2010 08:24:24 GMT
On Tue, 15 Jun 2010 16:05:04 -0700, David Blevins <david.blevins@visi.com>
wrote:

[...]
> Sorry for responses on the list being a bit slow, we're working quite
> heavily on EJB 3.1 at the moment.

No problem, it's way more important than my question :).

> Maybe if you could share some of the motivation why you need Spring to
> hand so much of the transactional work.

Well, as I said, it's because we used to use intensively Carbon5 Test
Support (http://code.google.com/p/c5-test-support/).
It really eases our database testing, allowing for painless database
setup/cleanup, transaction rollback after tests, ...
However, it's based on Spring's testing hierarchy.
That's the reason why I'd like to use Spring/OpenEJB integration.
I guess I'll have to recreate a similar testing hierarchy for OpenEJB.
Unfortunately I'm not as familiar with EJB/OpenEJB as with Spring ... yet
;)

> Does the application that runs in Glassfish use Spring created
> EntityManagers and DataSources rather than the ones created by
Glassfish?

No, in production it's all handled by Glassfish itself : no Spring
involved.

> If the goal is simply to do things just as would be done in Glassfish
and
> be able to write transactional tests, then maybe check out this example:

http://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/openejb/trunk/openejb3/examples/transaction-rollback/

I'll check it out. Thanks.

> Maybe also this one as it uses the same persistence provider as
Glassfish

http://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/openejb/trunk/openejb3/examples/jpa-eclipselink/

> As well it is possible to supply an entirely different persistence.xml
for
> just testing purposes:
>
>   http://openejb.apache.org/3.0/alternate-descriptors.html
>
> Hope some of this helps!

Sure, it definitely helped.
Thanks a lot and keep up the excellent work !

Btw, I've read your call for contribution, and if I have enough spare-time
I will definitely help.
But don't take it for granted ;).

--
Bruno Dusausoy