tomee-users mailing list archives

From David Blevins <david.blev...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Jetty Support
Date Fri, 03 Feb 2012 18:56:22 GMT

On Feb 3, 2012, at 3:41 AM, john70 wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> I know you are very busy. But my question is still not answered.
> Are you planning (I mean real planning and not a hypothetical one) to add
> Jetty support or not?

Had a partial response crafted, but not finished.  The "who cares about certification" response
was perfect -- thank you.  Any other response would have been a clear no in terms of Jetty
support.  Taking certification off the table, we've used Jetty ourselves for years in our
build.  Primarily for JAX-RS and JAX-WS endpoints as well as the ability to run our EJBd protocol
over HTTP via Jetty.  So that part is easy and simply having Jetty "there" is easy.  There've
been people who've used them together by just booting Jetty in code and OpenEJB in code (both
are really better embeddable) and then just having the servlets lookup the EJBs via global
JNDI over the LocalInitialContextFactory.

The part that has historically been missing in Jetty terms is the injection support of various
Java EE things into Servlets, Filters, etc.  I.e. wiring the things that Jetty controls into
the overall server.  Jan and I have chatted a couple times on that part.

We definitely have everything else on that list.  In fact, it sounds a lot like what Andy
Gumbrecht is using, minus Jetty of course (or if he is using it, it's news to me).

Give me the weekend to look over all that code and see what the story is.  Also let me know
which major version of Jetty you want -- I assume the latest.

-David