tomee-users mailing list archives

From Ravindranath Akila <ravindranathak...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Scaling and Possibility Of Integrating With Finagle
Date Thu, 23 Feb 2012 14:08:50 GMT

>  Havingseveral instances of TomEE will create several persistence contexts
> and lose transactional value, I assume.

Am I right here?

I will look for solutions and let you know if I find a good one. Right now
I am reading this:
http://www.theserverside.com/news/1364410/Under-the-Hood-of-J2EE-Clustering
(pasting
here so that others having the same concerns can read :-) ).

On Thu, Feb 23, 2012 at 6:50 PM, Romain Manni-Bucau
<rmannibucau@gmail.com>wrote:

> Personally i think a good httpd configured as load balancer can be enough
> for your need regarding TomEE.
>
> In all case you'll need something to organize the deployement and here
> finagle can be good (camel too ;)).
>
> - Romain
>

> 2012/2/23 Ravindranath Akila <ravindranathakila@gmail.com>
>
> > Hey, thanks for the quick response Romain.
> >
> > We are a social network. We will hit performance issues in three levels.
> >
> > 1. Our UI renderers will need increased memory over time and during
> spikes.
> > 2. The EJB layer, which is in place purely for transactional purpose
> might
> > need expansion in memory(that is were I would like your advice).
> > 3. Our database might fail to offer fast enough read writes and might
> give
> > issues with locks.
> >
> > Hazelcast is a very good candidate for our UI renderes because we can
> cache
> > wall entries and other profile data easily. This will also reduce a lot
> of
> > load on the database. We will definitely have to figure out a way to
> > partition the database and cluster it soon.
> >
> > On the other hand, I am not sure how to go about the requirements of
> TomEE.
> > Suppose we have some millions of users using the website, I am worried we
> > will have to cluster TomEE to support the load (CPU and Memory). Having
> > several instances of TomEE will create several persistence contexts and
> > lose transactional value, I assume.
> >
> > Well, I am new to all this. But within a month I will have to figure out
> > the best approach to scale as a social network. Right now, I have
> narrowed
> > down my options to choosing some of:
> >
> > 1. Using Hazelcast for caching data (Purpose: to increase performance and
> > reduce load on database).
> > 2. Using Finagle, and I have no idea how to do that.
> > 3. Using JBoss or Glassfish with their clustering support.
> >

> > Any suggestions on how to scale TomEE is really appreciated!
> >

> > On Thu, Feb 23, 2012 at 6:08 PM, Romain Manni-Bucau
> > <rmannibucau@gmail.com>wrote:
> >
> > > TomEE supports failover and you can inject a remote ejb into another
> > server
> > > using the failover.
> > >
> > > We currently don't provide a "supervisor" node to control a cluster but
> > > everything is here to control remote instances easily (for instance
> > > deploying an app from a nexus).
> > >
> > > I guess you can do it easily starting hazelcast in each instance.
> > >
> > > Can you give more information on what you expect exactly (clustering
> can
> > > mean a lot of thing and i'm not sure to get your exact need)?
> > >
> > > I'm currently not aware of any plan but if the need is clear we could
> [...]
TomEE?

--
Cheers!
   Akila...