tomee-users mailing list archives

From "Neale Rudd" <ne...@metawerx.net>
Subject TomEE startup performance
Date Sat, 14 Apr 2012 05:43:04 GMT
Hi Guys,

Could someone explain in some more detail what exactly causes the slower startup time in TomEE
compared to Tomcat?

I imagine it's parsing classes, annotations etc.. but haven't looked at that area of the code
too much yet.

One thing I've noticed in our testing, is that it seems to be mostly single-threaded, sitting
at 100% on one core for most of the startup, which of course is painful on multi-core low-Ghz
CPUs.  Perhaps there could be a -D flag to specify the number of threads to use for doing
whatever it's doing, like Java with it's ParallelGC threads.

The startup time should be reduced at the cost of higher initial CPU load.  Ideas?

Best Regards,
Neale Rudd