tomee-users mailing list archives

From David Nordahl <da...@thinkology.org>
Subject Need advice on connecting up project
Date Sat, 07 Jul 2012 21:19:16 GMT
I've been trying to get OpenEJB hooked up to my web app project in
Netbeans and I've been having a lot of problems, but am making progress
but have spent almost 15 hours now looking at mailing list, forum, and
documentation stuff.

I successfully deployed the OpenEJB war with Tomcat after running into a
lot of issues trying to switch from Tomcat 7 to TomEE.

Basically my current status is:

1. I can run all the example openejb junit cases successfully but I'm
not sure how to translate that success to my actual netbeans JSP 2.0
project.  I'm not really familiar with how all the maven/junit stuff
translates to actual web app/IDE configurations.
2. I can successfully get an openejb context using this command in my
servlet code:

         properties.setProperty(Context.INITIAL_CONTEXT_FACTORY,
         InitialContext initialContext = new InitialContext(properties);

3. The tomcat log seems to indicate that openejb it is successfully

3.  But I can't pull any bean objects out of the context.. this throws
exception:

           Object object = initialContext.lookup("UserFacadeLocal");

4. I probably don't have them properly defined, but I'm not getting any
errors about them being improperly defined to work with. So I'm not sure
my ejb-jar.xml is being discovered and I'm not sure how detailed a
description is necessary.  I don't get any thing in my tomcat log output
saying it's loading the ejb-jar.xml contents or saying that it is

5. I've tried putting a META-INF/ejb-jar.xml file about everywhere that
is recommended in my project folders on other discussion threads but the
only acknowledgement I get in the log output is that it is in the wrong
place if I put it in the root project folder.

6. I'm working with Entity classes and facade/local interfaces created
by netbeans from my db schema.  They contain lots of this type stuff:
@Entity, @NamedQueries etc.. I'm wondering if this setup replaces the
need for any amount of explicit xml config file definitions.

7. Last.. I find that you get namespace and other exceptions if you
include certain openejb/ejb jar files with your deployed project.  I
found a mailing list message saying to leave it out to avoid the errors,
but it didn't say how you'd then go about referencing any openejb
library classes in your project.

Thanks in advance..  It's been awhile since I've had to do a J2EE web
app.. Last time I used Jboss and some ide that just generated all the
classes and local and remote interfaces to persist class objects with my
DB.  I would like to keep things more simple and lightweight and stick
with tomcat on this project.

-David