tomee-users mailing list archives

From Alex The Rocker <alex.m3...@gmail.com>
Subject Could TomEE distributions have JAR files without version numbers?
Date Wed, 06 Feb 2013 16:09:25 GMT
Hello,

Currently, the JAR files in TomEE distributions (in lib/ directory) include
the JAR's version number in the JAR file name ; which is kind of redundant
with MANIFEST.MF content of these JAR files.

Problem with our product now embedding TomEE is that after "GA", we deliver
service pack with potentially newer TomEE version (for security fixes at
least).

But with JAR files names changing massively from a TomEE version to
another, and our dumb fixpack installer unable to remove files, we end up
with version mixes: after a fix pack is installed with never TomEE version,
we have a mix of old JAR file and newer one.

I guess this mix can cause a wide mess, unless the newer JAR are referred
to, for example in a CLASSPATH part of the newer TomEE.

But i'm not sure. I have the feeling that Tomcat was more friendly with
dumb service pack installers that can't delete file, and has not verion of
its JAR files naming.

Could TomEE have versionless JAR files naming?

Even for developers it could be nice not to have to rename their
dependencies from version to version...

Alex.