tomee-users mailing list archives

From Chris Christo <_...@mail.com>
Subject Re: MySQL timeout
Date Sun, 02 Mar 2014 11:57:10 GMT
Hey Romain, thanks for the valuable resource!

Just wanted to clarify with you and your big brain :P

If I have understood it correctly, the reason the error was happening is because the connection
from the pool that is attempted to be used has expired. Now, with a simple pre check using
say (validationQuery) the connection will be thrown instead of being released. So effectively
the only config I need is the validationQuery.

Just one more thing though, how long do connections last before expiring? I didn’t see a
setting for this…?

{
	"resources": {
		"MyDataSource": {
			"properties": {
				"JdbcDriver": "com.mysql.jdbc.Driver",
				"JdbcUrl": "jdbc:mysql://localhost:3306/DB",
				"UserName": "user",
				"Password": "password",
				"JtaManaged": true,
				"MaxActive": 8,
				"MaxIdle": 8,
				"validationQuery": "select id from t_user where id=1;"
			}
	    }
	}
}

On 1 Mar 2014, at 17:16, Romain Manni-Bucau <rmannibucau@gmail.com> wrote:

> hi
>
> did you configure dbcp to test regularly the connection? see
> http://commons.apache.org/proper/commons-dbcp/configuration.html see
> validationQuery, timeBetweenEvictionRunsMillis etc...
> Romain Manni-Bucau
> Twitter: @rmannibucau

>> Hey guys,
>>
>> Quick question. I have my war deployed on OpenEJB standalone 4.6.0 which has a jta
managed data source connecting to a local MySQL db. If the app doesn't get used (i.e an api
call or whatever) for like 24 hours or so then the db connection times out. After making a
couple of subsequent calls it 'wakes up' and responds normally. I'm assuming here that the
db connection is reestablished and all things become normal again.

>> I'm not really sure what to do to stop the connection being dropped. I'm assuming
I have to increase the session timeout or something? Is this done on the OpenEJB side or MySQL
side? anyone had this problem and solved it?

>> The stack trace is as follows:
>>
>> Caused by: com.mysql.jdbc.exceptions.jdbc4.CommunicationsException: The last packet
successfully received from the server was 963,156,961 milliseconds ago.  The last packet sent
successfully to the server was 963,156,961 milliseconds ago. is longer than the server configured
value of 'wait_timeout'. You should consider either expiring and/or testing connection validity
before use in your application, increasing the server configured values for client timeouts,
or using the Connector/J connection property 'autoReconnect=true' to avoid this problem