tomee-users mailing list archives

From Andy Gumbrecht <agumbre...@tomitribe.com>
Subject Re: openejb-core-4.6.1-20140513.040854-160.jar broken?
Date Wed, 14 May 2014 21:43:14 GMT
@Romain, it works as well as the end user deems fit at the end of the
day - There is such a thing as a stable snapshot, that is one that
passes all the tests that has ever been written so far, and all the end
user tests that they have for their own app. There is definitely no
black and white rule to that, only an opinion. It is in fact what we did
with openjpa-2.3.0-nonfinal and are doing with openjpa-2.4.0-1591689,
taking a snapshot and making/declaring it stable/released for 'our' needs.

I wouldn't include a snapshot reference in a production application, but
I would create my own stable version off a snapshot if I am happy with
it passing everything that it needs to pass and has a new feature that I
need at the time. By doing that I would naturally be committed to
keeping an eye on changes to the current snapshot that would affect the
decision to use it in the first place - I am sure we will be keeping an
eye on OpenJPA for the near future for example.

To have and to keep a snapshot reference in a production app is asking
for trouble, hence this user issue. To branch off the snapshot (we're
talking trunk here) when it's 'stable/green' and test test test is much
safer.
To wait four or more months for a release is also just not workable for
some people, as is the case for us sometimes - So there we are at the
'something in-between'.

That said, I would also 'never' take or use a branch of trunk that has
staging repos defined and try and make it stable, as that is also doomed
to failure.

Andy.