tomee-users mailing list archives

From James Green <james.mk.gr...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Netbeans Users
Date Wed, 21 May 2014 09:33:55 GMT
The four developers in this office here in the UK all use Netbeans. One
does mainly PHP and Puppet stuff, one very occasional use and the final two
(myself included) for Java work.

Our Java work is exclusively using Maven. One JEE project using TomEE and
two Spring projects with Tomcat.

Main pain point is running an application locally then wanting to make an
editor change. Does not always cleanly make it in to the deployed version,
even xhtml files sometimes. Class files much more of an issue but getting
JRebel in requires justification and right now we're trying to do a lot
more unit testing negating the value of JRebel.

Gave up using Glassfish last year due to some bugs in the SOAP server
implementation.

Have not used Eclipse in a long time, mainly due to it's workspace paradigm
which seemed incompatible with the way my brain expected to see stuff.
IntelliJ is too expensive given the fine margins we're on when Netbeans is
proving adequate.

I'd certainly get value out of seeing TomEE more "accessible" within
Netbeans however I would add a big caveat. IDEs integrating with third
party technologies are great to get started with. And then as the project
gets bigger and modules start getting spun out of the main project they can
get in the way. I've lost count of the times Netbeans has either moaned
about breakage in a project because it does not know that project's not
broken in the context of the bigger picture, or added back servlet mappings
in web.xml despite those mappings being done in a different file, or stuff
like that.

HTH