tomee-users mailing list archives

From mikle <dmx_d...@hotmail.com>
Subject Drop-in war for TomEE+ generates exception
Date Wed, 11 Jun 2014 05:30:38 GMT
I have Tomcat 7.0.41 installed locally for testing (I am using this specific
version since it's the highest Tomcat version my host (mochahost) provides).

I got an exception when starting tomcat after I installed it and was
wondering what it means and if it is benign. It seems to work so far, but I
haven't started testing any JEE6 apps yet, so I can't be sure.

Below I detail how I installed the war, and what the exception was :

---

I tried to find all the documentation I could on the webapp.

On the download page, I found the drop-in war section, which said :
"Drop-in WARs
A version of Apache OpenEJB that can be dropped into any Tomcat 7.x install
effectively creating your own Apache TomEE Web Profile or Apache TomEE
Plus."
http://tomee.apache.org/downloads.html

So I was certain that the war would work with Tomcat 7.0.41 (since this
stated it works with any 7.x tomcat install).

---

I went to the Documentation page at
http://tomee.apache.org/documentation.html and found "Install TomEE using
the drop-in WAR".

Following this doc : (1) I shutdown tomcat, (2) dropped
tomee-plus-webapp-1.6.0.2.war into the apache-tomcat-7.0.41\webapps
directory. I then (3) renamed tomee-plus-webapp-1.6.0.2.war to tomee.war. I
then (4) edited tomcat-users.xml in apache-tomcat-7.0.41\conf, and (5) I
added <role rolename="tomee-admin" />, and then added tomee-admin to the
roles of my current admin user (e.g.:

<user
    username="myuser"
    password="mypass"

roles="manager-gui,manager-script,manager-jmx,manager-status,tomee-admin"/>

I then started tomcat, and the console spit out this exception :

Jun 11, 2014 1:16:12 AM org.apache.catalina.core.ContainerBase
addChildInternal
SEVERE: ContainerBase.addChild: start:
org.apache.catalina.LifecycleException: Failed to start component
[StandardEngin
e[Catalina].StandardHost[localhost].StandardContext[/examples]]
        at
org.apache.catalina.util.LifecycleBase.start(LifecycleBase.java:154)
        at
org.apache.catalina.core.ContainerBase.addChildInternal(ContainerBase
.java:901)
        at
org.apache.catalina.core.ContainerBase.addChild(ContainerBase.java:87
7)
        at
org.apache.catalina.core.StandardHost.addChild(StandardHost.java:633)

        at
org.apache.catalina.startup.HostConfig.deployDirectory(HostConfig.jav
a:1113)
        at
org.apache.catalina.startup.HostConfig$DeployDirectory.run(HostConfig
.java:1671)
        at java.util.concurrent.Executors$RunnableAdapter.call(Unknown
Source)
        at java.util.concurrent.ThreadPoolExecutor$Worker.run(Unknown
Source)
        at java.lang.Thread.run(Unknown Source)
org/apache/tomcat/util/descriptor/Xml
ErrorHandler
        at
org.apache.tomee.loader.TomEEJarScanner.tldConfig(TomEEJarScanner.jav
a:378)
        at
org.apache.tomee.loader.TomEEJarScanner.scan(TomEEJarScanner.java:201
)
        at org.apache.catalina.startup.TldConfig.execute(TldConfig.java:277)
        at
org.apache.catalina.startup.TldConfig.lifecycleEvent(TldConfig.java:5
67)
        at
org.apache.catalina.util.LifecycleSupport.fireLifecycleEvent(Lifecycl
eSupport.java:119)
        at
org.apache.catalina.util.LifecycleBase.fireLifecycleEvent(LifecycleBa
se.java:90)
        at
org.apache.catalina.core.StandardContext.startInternal(StandardContex
t.java:5269)
        at
org.apache.catalina.util.LifecycleBase.start(LifecycleBase.java:150)
        ... 10 more

Jun 11, 2014 1:16:12 AM org.apache.catalina.startup.HostConfig
deployDirectory
SEVERE: Error deploying web application directory
C:\apache-tomcat-7.0.41\webapp
s\examples
java.lang.IllegalStateException: ContainerBase.addChild: start:
org.apache.catal
ina.LifecycleException: Failed to start component
[StandardEngine[Catalina].Stan
dardHost[localhost].StandardContext[/examples]]
        at
org.apache.catalina.core.ContainerBase.addChildInternal(ContainerBase
.java:904)
        at
org.apache.catalina.core.ContainerBase.addChild(ContainerBase.java:87
7)
        at
org.apache.catalina.core.StandardHost.addChild(StandardHost.java:633)

        at
org.apache.catalina.startup.HostConfig.deployDirectory(HostConfig.jav
a:1113)
        at
org.apache.catalina.startup.HostConfig$DeployDirectory.run(HostConfig
.java:1671)
        at java.util.concurrent.Executors$RunnableAdapter.call(Unknown
Source)
        at java.util.concurrent.ThreadPoolExecutor$Worker.run(Unknown
Source)
        at java.lang.Thread.run(Unknown Source)

Thanks,

-mikle