tomee-users mailing list archives

From Anthony Fryer <apfr...@hotmail.com>
Subject Re: TomEE OpenEJB IDE Support
Date Fri, 25 Jul 2014 14:37:39 GMT
Alexander Wagner wrote
> At this point our big question is the IDE Support. The Eclipse Support
> for Tomcat/TomEE over the WTP-Connector is excellent, but it covers only
> War-Projects. So I tried the OpenEJB Eclipse Plugin
> (https://openejb.apache.org/openejb-eclipse-plugin.html). First of all,
> it seems to work, but nevertheless it seems also a little bit outdated.
> Does someone has some real experiences with it, especially with
> debugging, workspace maven dependency resolution?

I use eclipse with tomEE almost everyday.  It has taken time to get eclipse
working well, but now for me it is a great tool for developing applications.

Eclipse maven support, m2e, takes some time to get used to, but when you do
and you work out which additional m2e plugins you need, you can get eclipse
to perform automatic builds using the maven build plugins.  An example of
some m2e plugins i use are...

m2e connector for jaxws
m2e connector for OpenJPA
m2e connector for XML Transform

I decided ages ago that packaging my applications in war files instead of
ears wasn't a big deal.  I wanted to use tomEE from eclipse and use the
eclipse wtp to automatically publish my war into tomee.  I could repackage
into ear files later if i want to deploy into a different container that
doesn't support skinny ears (ie. wars).

I also setup my servers configed in eclipse to use a Dynamic Code Evolution
VM (DCEVM) so class changes are just deployed into a running tomee instance
automatically and debugging can be performed immediately after a code change
is made (no need to redeploy the app and restart tomee and no need to pay
for jrebel).  Some info about this can be found here...

http://javainformed.blogspot.com.au/2014/01/jrebel-free-alternative.html

So in summary

* I have a multi module maven pom project (I have 23 projects in my eclipse
workspace all pure maven projects, no eclipse specific info in the pom.xml
files).

* My projects are all built automatically by eclipse when a code change is
made because i installed the necessary m2e plugins.  This includes changes
to wsdl files, xsd files and jpa entities.

* The classes generated by the eclipse maven builder are automatically
published to my tomee server by eclipse wtp.

* DCEVM automatically loads those classes into an already running server.