tomee-users mailing list archives

From "Jonathan S. Fisher" <jonat...@springventuregroup.com>
Subject Re: TomEE vs commercial offering: No need?
Date Sat, 24 Oct 2015 13:25:55 GMT
Talk about putting the cart before the horse: they're going for the "Big
Bang Architecture" instead of growing it organically. Sounds like a
disaster. SOA and performance can't be used in the same sentence unless
it's a joke. WS-* are re-inventions of everything that REST and HTTP(s)
does quite effectively. Your application server *shouldn't* really be doing
load balancing, especially when products like HAProxy can do it better and
faster. Nor should it be a CA or KMS (Those should be terminated *before* the
application tier). DDL should be managed with a tool like Liquibase. The
only thing an application server should do is run applications effectively.

I would try to push them away from the SOA dream. Modern software
architectures I would describe as being: miniature, minimal, simplistic,
monolithic but composed (of small testable modules), and distributed (many
copies of the same thing across cheap hardware).

To answer your question though, Yes, TomEE is perfectly capable of
supporting nearly all of those things. Some of it you'll have to build,
some of it is built-in. I would look at the TomEE documentation page and
see what's lacking.

IBM WebSphere is probably the *only* container capable of fulfilling 100%
of those things out of the box, but it's not pleasant to deal with, nor is
fast, nor cheap, nor stable, and it doesn't do anything of those things
well. (WebSphere is designed to fulfill contractual obligations for a sales
organization, actually be a good piece of software seems to be a secondary
goal)

--
Email Confidentiality Notice: The information contained in this
transmission is confidential, proprietary or privileged and may be subject