tomee-users mailing list archives

From Romain Manni-Bucau <rmannibu...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Artemis Switch status
Date Tue, 20 Dec 2016 15:54:05 GMT

> On Tue, Dec 20, 2016 at 10:21 AM, Romain Manni-Bucau
> <rmannibucau@gmail.com> wrote:

> adapters,
> >> it
> >>
> >> Is it? I couldn't make it work last time..
> >>

> > Where are you blocked, can help on that

> switching
> of
> external
> >>
> >> We have those. Although I don't foresee every single feature
> >> implemented between AMQ5 and Artemis for two reasons:
> >>
> >> - some won't make sense
> >> - some have different demands these days.
> >>

> > well, a lot are so widely used than compat there is not (yet?) an option
> > for us I fear
>
> - We already have Openwire compatibility.
> - The thing that will hang most users is the lack of virtual topics.
> that you can replace by Diverts... and you don't really need it with
> JMS2. I don't really think it's an issue... you can safely use Artemis
> without ever needing these features. Especially on cases for J2EE
> usecases. (see wildfly is using Artemis wildly already).

You forget one very important point which is the lib stack, last time I
checked - can be irrelevant now - Artemis needed a lot of libraries and
moreover not much overlapping with tomee libraries which concretely means a
lot of potential conflicts with user libs is not deployed as a RAR.
Think/Hope it changed since it was early times but this is an important
point at out level.

> You have a lot more to gain on using Artemis, than you would miss from
> certain features. I think it would be a wise move on the next major
> release.
>
> Look at the whole progress we have made this past year with Artemis.
> You can send thousands messages / second without much effort. Paging
> could be totally based on disk.. and throughput a lot faster... it's
> getting really mature.
>
> This should be a community decision. I can help you on discussions
> whenever they happen. I don't follow this thread closely, so please
> ping me somehow you can whenever you need my attention here?

I'd rather say this needs to be a user decision almost only. We didn't get
any request yet on that and a few only on JMS 2 - that's why it is not
urgent ;).

> But at least you already have an options now.. I will play with that next
> year.

Happy to help you ensuring it works next year and package a tomee plus
"bis" version (we can discuss once done who hosts it). If artemis adapter
is more advanced than (old) AMQ one it can mean no tomee specific code and
therefore just one maven plugin to define :).