tomee-users mailing list archives

From Romain Manni-Bucau <rmannibu...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Using JMS Message Groups with TomEE
Date Fri, 03 Feb 2017 08:53:25 GMT
I see

It is not really about concurrency then cause mdb will start multiple
consumers per class.

Not using mdb or redesigning the subflow behind can help.

Le 3 févr. 2017 02:30, "Ihsan Ecemis" <miecemis@gmail.com> a écrit :

Not exactly…  We want to serialize message processing for a given Message
Group.

Let me give a concrete examples:  Say our messages are User Requests and we
have 10,000 Users sending us 1K messages/sec.

We want to process these messages in parallel overall,  but serially for a
given User.

If we use 1 MDB, then all the User Requests (1K messages/sec) will be
processed by 1 Thread.  which is not what we want.  We want to process them
with many MDBs but we don’t want 2 MDBs to process a request from the same
User in parallel.

Message Group solution is to set JMSXGroupID = User Id, but as far as I
understand that works for MessageConsumers and not for MessageListeners..
Oracle documentation is a little confusing around this cause it sometimes
refers MessageListeners as Message Consumers  (And many other people follow
the same confusing nomenclature).

Hope the example above is clear.  Let me know if you have any questions.

> On Feb 2, 2017, at 6:26 PM, Romain Manni-Bucau <rmannibucau@gmail.com>
wrote:

> Hi
>
> You just want to serialize the message processing? Why not using a
> container of 1 mdb instance?
>
> Le 2 févr. 2017 23:34, "Ihsan Ecemis" <miecemis@gmail.com> a écrit :
>

>> Hi,
>>
>> In our application, we have a dozen JMS queues and corresponding MDBs,
>> running against an external ActiveMQ server.  All this is running
reliably.

>> Recently, we had to add a new queue with the following requirement:  Some
>> messages should not get processed concurrently.
>>
>> It looked like ActiveMQ Message Groups is built for this purpose so we
>> added JMSXGroupID to messages that shouldn’t get processed concurrently
>> (Reference: http://activemq.apache.org/message-groups.html <
>> http://activemq.apache.org/message-groups.html>)
>>
>> However, this has not worked as we expected:  Even though the container
is
>> using a single MessageConsumer (which may be respecting our JMSXGroupID
>> settings),  the onMessage method of multiple MDB instances are getting
>> called concurrently for the same JMSXGroupID — and that is not acceptable
>> per our requirement.
>>
>> Is there a way around this using MDBs?  E.g. some kind of TomEE or
>> ActiveMQ setting?
>>
>> If this is not possible using MDBs, what kind of architecture can be used
>> to solve this problem?  (We thought about creating our own
MessageConsumer