tomee-users mailing list archives

From COURTAULT Francois <Francois.Courta...@gemalto.com>
Subject RE: Not the same behaviour between Johnzon and Jackson
Date Mon, 03 Apr 2017 09:06:38 GMT
Hello Romain,

I believe I have understood that "JSON serialization is NOT in EE 7".  This is why I said:
" the behavior of the readFrom is not really described" in JAX-RS 2.0.

BTW, I have read some parts of the current JSON-B specification and, according to me, this
is not quite clear (eg the spec is ambiguous)
Indeed:
     - in § 3.2, it is stated " Implementations SHOULD also report an error during a deserialization
operation, if it is not possible to represent a JSON document value with the expected Java
type."
     - in § 3.7.1, it is stated "If a JSON document contains a name/value pair not corresponding
to field or setter method, then this name/value pair MUST be ignored. "

So, according to what it is written above, what is the right behavior ?
     - report an error because it is not possible to "represent a JSON document value with
the expected Java type" during deserialization ?
     - to ignore a JSON name/value pair if this one doesn't  correspond to a field or setter
method ?

Best Regards.

-----Original Message-----
From: Romain Manni-Bucau [mailto:rmannibucau@gmail.com]
Sent: lundi 3 avril 2017 09:49
To: users@tomee.apache.org
Subject: Re: Not the same behaviour between Johnzon and Jackson

Hmm, not sure I 100% understand so if my next comment is inaccurate please shout (also not
capitals are not cause i'm angry or anything, just to highlight the word ;)):

JAX-RS is NOT about JSON or XML but about a way to serialize a payload to some format. JAX-RS
supports JSON, XML, binary protocols etc... so it doesn't own anything but a word saying "we
integrate with this other spec".
An example on another layer is: it doesn't define how bean validation works but only that
it works on some JAX-RS components/parts.

The JSON serialization is NOT in EE 7 and therefore fully vendor specific for now.

JSON-B default is to ignore unknown fields (as in I-JSON spec IIRC) whereas Jackson chose
to fail on them. Both defaults can make sense so I guess you just have to know which one you
use and adapt.

Agree that JSON-B/Johnzon one makes more sense when you use a js front which can leak some
attributes ;).

Romain Manni-Bucau
@rmannibucau <https://twitter.com/rmannibucau> |  Blog <https://blog-rmannibucau.rhcloud.com>