tomee-users mailing list archives

From Romain Manni-Bucau <rmannibu...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Upgrading OpenEJB Standalone to 7.0.3
Date Fri, 02 Jun 2017 07:06:26 GMT

> Yes, but not as a starting point. It is mostly a reference document,
> whereas I need a "getting started guide”, with a really basic, working
> example that tells me:

Hmm, have to admit I would appreciate once you get it working some help to
improve that area of the doc

> - What to put in my conf/ directory. I presume tomee.xml is required, but
> is it, and does it need to be modified?

Well depends, I'm tempted to say conf folder doesnt have to exist by
default, tomee.xml is fully replaceable by properties syntax but you can
point to any tomee.xml with openejb.location flag.

> - What to put in my RunTomEE class. Will the example find my tommy.xml?
> Does it need to? How will it find my exploded WAR that’s in collapsed EAR
> format? That page leaves me guessing.

there is a conf option which will check at classpath or file path,
deployClasspath will deploy the classpath but you can also define as
properties or in tomee.xml a Deployments of what to deploy. That said I
think you can deploy the classpath (even if it can require a small
adjustment of the packaging worse case) which will make your app easier to
debug, run and package.

> - Which jars need to be in the classpath. I have absolutely no idea, and
> I’d rather not include everything from tomee's lib.

Well tomee-embedded is tomee so you need tomee stack, you can create a
maven pom with tomee-embedded dependency and just run mvn
dependency:copy-dependencies to get the full stack, there are few parts you
can exclude like activemq but that's it mainly.

> - What’s a good set of system properties to set. There are so many
> possible combinations, so I’d like to be given initial ones that work.

Nothing special until you need it.

> I did actually try working from that page a couple of days ago, but had to
> abandon it after a lot of trial and error, and I’m still left with all the
> above questions unanswered.
>
> Geoff
>
> > On 2 Jun 2017, at 2:08 PM, Romain Manni-Bucau <rmannibucau@gmail.com>
> wrote:
> >
> > Hi
> >
> > Does http://tomee.apache.org/advanced/tomee-embedded/ helps?
> >

> > Romain Manni-Bucau
> > <https://blog-rmannibucau.rhcloud.com> | Old Blog
> > <http://rmannibucau.wordpress.com> | Github <https://github.com/
> rmannibucau> |
> > LinkedIn <https://www.linkedin.com/in/rmannibucau> | JavaEE Factory

> >:
> >
> >> Instead, I would be happy to switch to embedded TomEE, instead of
> embedded
> >> Jetty, if that’s practical and there are good step-by-step instructions.
> >>
> >> For me, I just need to know what to put into web/src/test/conf/,
> >> RunTomEE.java (like my RunJetty.java), which jars to use, and essential
> >> system properties.
> >>
> >> For a wider audience, IMHO something like this page about Jetty would be
> >> great:
> >>
> >>        https://wiki.eclipse.org/Jetty/Tutorial/Embedding_Jetty <
> >> https://wiki.eclipse.org/Jetty/Tutorial/Embedding_Jetty>

> >> starting