tomee-users mailing list archives

From David Blevins <david.blev...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: TomEE -Java EE 8 compatible or certified ?
Date Mon, 25 Sep 2017 22:02:19 GMT
Hi Francois!

As Mark mentions the Java EE 8 work is going on now.  It will be compatible, but not certified
-- at least not directly.

The story there is the Java EE TCK licensing agreement between Oracle and Apache expired and
is not being renewed due to disagreement on the terms.  So Apache does not have a Java EE
8 TCK.  With my Apache hat on, I worked with Cameron Purdy, then SVP of Development at Oracle,
for over 2 years trying to get a new agreement made.  When he departed Oracle, the progress
stopped on the Oracle side.

I then switched hats and began pursing things from the Tomitribe.  After a year we have licensed
and paid for a TCK.  We can't legally give it to Apache (Oracle's rules) nor can we legally
release Apache TomEE (Apache's rules), but we can legally certify something that is 100% Apache
TomEE, but with a different name.  I.e. we can take TomEE zip, rename it, run it through the
TCK and put it up.  We intend to do that so that Apache TomEE releases are in spirit, certified.

There are some challenges ahead, such as only Tomitribe people can run the TCK or see the
results.  Java EE itself is being open sourced, TCKs and all, so this will have a better solution
long-term.  Short-term we'll have to power through together as a community and support each
other the best we can.

--
David Blevins
http://twitter.com/dblevins

> On Sep 25, 2017, at 8:15 AM, COURTAULT Francois <Francois.COURTAULT@gemalto.com>
wrote:

> Hello everyone,
>
> As Java EE 8 is out, could you tell us when a TomEE version will be at least compatible
or certified released ?
> Any pointer to TomEE roadmap ? (Maybe an announcement at Oracle Java One ?)
> Have to wait for TomEE 9 because of Servlet 4.0 ?
>
> Best Regards.

> This message and any attachments are intended solely for the addressees and may contain
confidential information. Any unauthorized use or disclosure, either whole or partial, is
prohibited.
> E-mails are susceptible to alteration. Our company shall not be liable for the message
if altered, changed or falsified. If you are not the intended recipient of this message, please
delete it and notify the sender.
> Although all reasonable efforts have been made to keep this transmission free from viruses,
the sender will not be liable for damages caused by a transmitted virus.