tomee-users mailing list archives

From Matheus Eduardo Bonifacio Morais <matheus_mor...@sicredi.com.br>
Subject Re: TomEE -Java EE 8 compatible or certified ?
Date Mon, 25 Sep 2017 22:17:23 GMT

Em 25-09-2017 19:02, David Blevins escreveu:
> Hi Francois!
>
> As Mark mentions the Java EE 8 work is going on now.  It will be compatible, but not
certified -- at least not directly.

> The story there is the Java EE TCK licensing agreement between Oracle and Apache expired
and is not being renewed due to disagreement on the terms.  So Apache does not have a Java
EE 8 TCK.  With my Apache hat on, I worked with Cameron Purdy, then SVP of Development at
Oracle, for over 2 years trying to get a new agreement made.  When he departed Oracle, the
progress stopped on the Oracle side.

> I then switched hats and began pursing things from the Tomitribe.  After a year we have
licensed and paid for a TCK.  We can't legally give it to Apache (Oracle's rules) nor can
we legally release Apache TomEE (Apache's rules), but we can legally certify something that
is 100% Apache TomEE, but with a different name.  I.e. we can take TomEE zip, rename it, run
it through the TCK and put it up.  We intend to do that so that Apache TomEE releases are
in spirit, certified.

> There are some challenges ahead, such as only Tomitribe people can run the TCK or see
the results.  Java EE itself is being open sourced, TCKs and all, so this will have a better
solution long-term.  Short-term we'll have to power through together as a community and support
each other the best we can.
Oracle destroy everything, it's their business model. Open source Java
it's nice, but it is too late for the platform IMHO.

--
Matheus Eduardo Bonifácio Morais
Analista de Infraestrutura de TI,

Centro Administrativo Sicredi – Porto Alegre
+55 51 3358 7143

sicredi.com.br
Esta mensagem é somente para uso do destinatário informado e pode conter informações privilegiadas,
proprietárias ou privadas. Se você recebeu esta mensagem por engano, por favor, notifique
o remetente imediatamente e apague a original. Qualquer outro uso deste e-mail é proibido.