tomee-users mailing list archives

From COURTAULT Francois <Francois.Courta...@gemalto.com>
Subject RE: Question about APR
Date Tue, 07 Nov 2017 09:43:12 GMT
Hello Romain,

Just to be sure. Your answer is: for production deployment, it is strongly advised to install
APR even if, regarding performance topic, the difference between APR/HTTP is no more so significant.

So curiosity question: if APR doesn't bring so much performance increase, what is the real
added value of using APR ? stability ? other ?

Best Regards.

-----Original Message-----
From: Romain Manni-Bucau [mailto:rmannibucau@gmail.com]
Sent: mardi 7 novembre 2017 10:30
To: users@tomee.apache.org
Subject: Re: Question about APR

Hi Fran├žois,

yes it is the case. Now on a pure performance point of view APR/HTTP is no more as significant
as it was years ago.

Romain Manni-Bucau
@rmannibucau |  Blog | Old Blog | Github | LinkedIn

> Hello everyone,
>
> In the TomEE statup log, I can see this message :
> 27-Oct-2017 14:58:44.592 INFO [main] sun.reflect.DelegatingMethodAccessorImpl.invoke
The APR based Apache Tomcat Native library which allows optimal performance in production
environments was not found on the java.library.path: ....

> So my question is basic: do we need to install APR for production environment to improve
significantly the TomEE/ Tomcat performance knowing that we don't integrate TomEE with native
server technology like Apache server (eg TomEE standalone)?
> My first APR understanding is that it is useful when you integrate Tomcat in Apache server
(meaning we don't need to install it if we use Tomcat/TomEE standalone). Am I right ?

> Best Regards.
> This message and any attachments are intended solely for the addressees and may contain
confidential information. Any unauthorized use or disclosure, either whole or partial, is
prohibited.
> E-mails are susceptible to alteration. Our company shall not be liable for the message
if altered, changed or falsified. If you are not the intended recipient of this message, please
delete it and notify the sender.
> Although all reasonable efforts have been made to keep this transmission free from viruses,
the sender will not be liable for damages caused by a transmitted virus.