From Leif Hedstrom <zw...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Basic Questions
Date Tue, 03 Nov 2009 05:44:49 GMT

On Nov 2, 2009, at 9:43 PM, Rusty Conover wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I'm trying to get traffic server up and running for some testing.  I
> have a few questions:
>
> 1. Is traffic_manager supposed to work?  There doesn't appear to be
> any real way to know which script should start the whole collection
> of programs.  Maybe I'm just missing it.

No, right now, I filed a Jira ticket for it earlier today.

> 2. Is the web management interface supposed to be working?  It
> segfaults after I try to authenticate.  The management pages weren't
> installed properly out of the html2 directory to the installation
> prefix.

Not yet :) Feel free to file a Jira ticket.

> 3. What is the format of proxy.config.admin.admin_password, i.e. how
> can I create a new value?

You can change it from inside the GUI, the default should be "admin/
admin" I'm pretty sure. But, there's obviously a chicken and egg
situation here, since traffic_manager / GUI doesn't work.

> 4. What are the proper debug flags for traffic_manager to basically
> print everything.

You want to play with the traffic_server binary. There is an help page
for it if you run it with --help. The "best" option for debugging /
testing is -T. E.g. to show all tracer messages related to http, you
can run it with

     /usr/local/bin/traffic_server -T http.*

(the argument is a regex).

> 5. Where is the cli socket being created for traffic_line?  How can
> I test that this is working? Is -r supposed to print all values?

 From traffic_manager, but, it obviously won't work (because of the
above).

> 6. What's a good way to test the cache rather then running some
> requests through it?  Does traffic server print anything to the logs
> saying its ready to serve requests like apache does?

Yeah, there should be messages in /var/log/messages I'm pretty sure,
and several logs in /usr/local/var/log/trafficserver, but looking at
my test box, I'm not seeing the logs I'd expect.

It's a bit rough right now, but please have patience with us, and help
us find the problems and file tickets, and we'll make fixes as soon as
we humanly can.

Cheers!

-- Leif