From Greg Smolyn <greg.smo...@strangeloopnetworks.com>
Subject Re: Preventing host headers from changing in forward proxy mode
Date Wed, 01 Sep 2010 21:06:07 GMT
That totally worked, thanks!

-greg

On 2010-09-01, at 1:55 PM, Steve Jiang wrote:

> Hi Greg,
>
> TS is checking the request-URI 's host matches the host header and
> modifying the header if it does not to avoid content spoofing. There's
> an option that isn't in the default records.config that controls this:
>
> CONFIG proxy.config.http.avoid_content_spoofing INT 1
>
> Can you try adding that to your config file and setting it to 0?  That
> should give the behavior that you want.  Keep in mind TS will use the
> host header when matching for items in cache if you have that enabled.
>
> --Steve
>

> Greg Smolyn wrote:
>> Hi,
>> we've decided to use traffic server as a cache for a background process that does
a bunch of fetching.  Admittedly we're doing something a bit non standard, but we're having
troubles trying to configure the system such that it doesn't modify host headers on us.

>> Here's the scenario:
>> - trafficserver is listening on 127.0.0.1:8080
>> - we have a number of local VIPs on our machine that we use as aliases for real backend
servers, so, if we want to fetch http://www.foo.com/test.jpg, we would go through it's VIP
at, say, 10.0.1.1

>> What happens with trafficserver in the mix is:
>> - we open TCP connection to 127.0.0.1:8080 and does a GET http://10.0.1.1/test.jpg
with Host: www.foo.com
>> - trafficserver then requests on 10.0.1.1 a GET /test.jpg, with Host: 10.0.1.1
>>
>> What we really need is the original Host header in the proxied request.
>>
>> We've tried turning on proxy.config.url_remap.pristine_host_hdr (setting it to 1),
however this does nothing.

>> Any suggestions? Or are we going to have to write a plugin?  And if so, which is
a good plugin sample to start from?

--
Greg Smolyn
Software Developer