From John Plevyak <jplev...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Question about disk optimization in ATS.
Date Wed, 14 Dec 2011 21:04:08 GMT
Under heavy forward proxy load, ATS tends to be seek limited which favors
lots of disks.  As ATS has its own recovery mechanisms it is best *not* to
use raid5 or any raid, but just a bunch of raw disks listed in the
storage.config.

ATS needs to have small block sizes, so don't use raid or stripe with a
volume manager as this will degrade performance.

If you use a disk which has large blocks (3GB disk) then you may need to
set the flag to force ATS to use a larger internal blocks size which
results in some waste of disk space.

If you are reverse proxy and have a small working set and a good size RAM
cache you may not be disk limited, in which case you have more flexibility.
  Even in this case I would
still suggest not using raid or striping.

john