From Jack Bates <duh...@nottheoilrig.com>
Subject Re: Download mirrors and cache hits
Date Sat, 24 Mar 2012 07:06:35 GMT
On 22/03/12 10:08 PM, James Peach wrote:
> On 22/03/2012, at 4:19 AM, Jack Bates wrote:
>> On 10/03/12 08:43 PM, Jack Bates wrote:
>>> What can sites like this do to help intermediate proxies like Apache
>>> Traffic Server make cache hits from requests for the same content from
>>> different mirrors?
>>>
>>> Are there any best practices?
>>
>> Has there ever been any discussion or work on supporting RFC 6249 [1] or "Metalink"
[2] in Apache Traffic Server?

> No I don't think so.
>
>> I found this [3] mention of Metalink and intermediate caching proxies ("Metalink
integration with Proxy/Cache" heading)

> That sounds like a pretty useful project. There's probably a number of different ways
a plugin could implement this. Folks on the dev list or #traffic-server would be happy to
help.

>> [1] http://tools.ietf.org/html/rfc6249
>> [2] http://metalinker.org/
>> [3] http://sourceforge.net/apps/trac/metalinks/wiki/GsocIdeas

Thank you very much James, I am replying to the dev list

Perhaps a minimum viable product could:

   1. If the response status code is 3XX
   2. Scan RFC 6249 "Link: <...>; rel=duplicate" headers for URL that
already exist in cache
   3. If found, update "Location: ..." header with this URL and pass on
response

It could also check for an RFC 3230 "Digest: ..." header and, if found,
check for content with same digest already in cache?

Could this behavior be achieved with any of the existing "remap" plugins?