From Christopher Arnold <arnol...@apple.com>
Subject Re: Best practice for high availability clustering
Date Tue, 24 Apr 2012 17:28:50 GMT

When clustering two or more ATS servers in full clustered mode I assume the ATS servers transfer
cached objects between themselves.  Should I ensure that traffic  be done over a dedicated
network the ATS servers share separate from their main interface?  I was seeing a high cache
miss cold rate and poor network performance when curling a largish file when I set up clustering
with two nodes on a single vlan.  I was testing with ATS 3.0.4 on OEL 6 linux with bonded
interfaces).

On Apr 24, 2012, at 10:17 AM, Leif Hedstrom wrote:

> On 4/24/12 11:00 AM, Leif Hedstrom wrote:
>> On 4/24/12 10:41 AM, Christopher Arnold wrote:
>>> Will an ats cluster work correctly if load balanced using a layer 3 or 4 slb
solution like a netscaler?

>> Yeah, why not ? I used to use ATS behind both DSR and Inline SLBs, with the origins
typically behind a DSR SLB. Personally, going forward, I would put ATS on local TCP anycast,
with 10GigE NICs straight to the BAS (and then to the router).

> I should add, if you don't worry about e.g. SYN flood attacks, then an SLB in DSR mode
would be able to load balance a ton of traffic to the ATS layer.