From Leif Hedstrom <zw...@apache.org>
Subject Re: http byte range requests get cached and served from cache?
Date Mon, 23 Apr 2012 19:42:31 GMT
On 4/23/12 11:45 AM, Bruce Lysik wrote:
> Hi guys,
>
> Can someone tell me the current state of ATS and http byte range requests?
>
> I have a system (libtorrent http seeding) that we put ATS in front of.
>  Files are retrieved via 512k byte range requests for each large file.  I
> would expect that after fully receiving a file, subsequent downloads via
> this mechanism would be cached.  I'm not seeing that in practice.
> I found this bug: https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/TS-475

Yeah, that's the "performance" issue.

> But I can't tell what the means to serving byte range requests right now.

Well, if all you see are Range: requests, and nothing ever fetches the full
object, it never gets cached :/. Until we fix TS-475 though, I don't think
anyone has cared about this problem, but there is at least one bug filled
about this (to trigger a background fill of the full object on a Range:
request, assuming of course the object is cacheable)

-- Leif