From "McClimont, Aaron (SACE Board)" <Aar...@saceboard.sa.gov.au>
Subject Disabling repeated request attempts to the source server when transaction_no_activity_timeout_in is exceeded.
Date Tue, 10 Apr 2012 03:46:02 GMT
Hello all,

  We have some long running processes which run for longer than allowed for by reasonable
(or default) settings of the 'proxy.config.http.transaction_no_activity_timeout_in' configuration.
 More of an issue is that ATS re-submits the request to the source server when this timeout
is reached, for a total of 10 times, potentially allowing for operations intended to run only
once to run multiple times. I can't locate the correct configuration to disable this re-submitting
to the source server.

  I can reproduce the issue by accepting a connection at the source server which never responds
or closes. (IE: A servlet which when accessed goes in to an endless loop)

  I've found a similar post from earlier this year (http://mail-archives.apache.org/mod_mbox/trafficserver-users/201201.mbox/%3CCB2CB919.BDAC%25andrew.ashcroft%40holidaylettings.co.uk%3E),
however I'm not convinced that our scenarios are the same.  The resubmitting of requests to
the source server is consistent at 10 times even having tried changing the 'connect_attempts_max_retries'
config.

  What I'd like to achieve is (in order of priority):

1) Remove re-submits such that only one connection attempt is made to the source server (when
transaction_no_activity_timeout_in is exceeded).
2) Disable 'transaction_no_activity_timeout_in' such that there is no timeout, alternatively
I'll set this to a value abnormally high.

Many thanks,

Aaron McClimont