From tom ryan <tomry...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: faking host headers
Date Fri, 27 Apr 2012 01:50:55 GMT
Hi Michael,

On Thu, Apr 26, 2012 at 11:16 PM, Michael Turner <jmt@apple.com> wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> Leif, we spoke yesterday in IRC about this but I wanted to follow up.  You mentioned
faking the host headers (which we can do with curl) to load the cache with the vip address
on both the independent real traffic servers.

> Doing this, I could only get 404 results, and it never seemed to actually fetch from
the origin.

> $ curl -H "Host: <real_ats_server> -o /dev/null http://<ats server vip>/path_to_cache

Firstly, the line you pasted is missing a closing quote mark - but no
doubt this is just a typo in the mail if you are seeing a 404.

Secondly, have you considered listening with netcat to see what your
command actually sends?

$ nc -l -p 12345
meanwhile...
$ curl -H "Host: <real_ats_server>" -o /dev/null
http://localhost:12345/path_to_cache

I'm not sure if it's fair to call this method more or rather less
scientific than trying to do it The Right Way... but I find it useful
when two settings (eg your -H to curl) produce unexpectedly different
results.

It looks like you have a hardware load balancer in front of multiple
ats machines in front of some webserver/s, and it's that middle ats
layer you want to warm for all nodes at that layer... is that right?

best,
tom