From James Peach <jpe...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Features request
Date Wed, 16 May 2012 03:58:40 GMT
On 14/05/2012, at 12:03 PM, Provedor Bogus wrote:

> Dear ATS developers,
>
> First of all, thanks a lot for the amazing software you made. Your work is very appreciated,
honestly.

> Due to scalability problems, we are working on a trial to replace our Squid caches to
ATS and some interesting features would be very nice to have, which I enumerate below.

> 1) Is it possible to have a "primary destination specifier" in hosting.config to match
a network ? We have a substantial amount of traffic coming from Akamai CDN (among others CDNs)
and would be lovely to have an option to store such huge data in bigger SATA disks (although
slow) instead of smaller SAS disks (although fast).

You can direct objects to different cache volumes based on the domain, see <http://trafficserver.apache.org/docs/trunk/admin/configuration-files/hosting.config.en.html>
and <http://trafficserver.apache.org/docs/trunk/admin/configuring-cache/#PartitioningCacheAccordingOriginServerDomain>.

> 2) Is it possible to have a hierarquical cache disk model ? Would be lovely to have smaller
files ( < 1 MB) on a SSD, midsize files on SAS disks (> 1 MB and < 10 MB) and bigger
files on SATA disks (> 10 MB). It helps to better manage the hit ratio on big files which
keeps the network busy for a longer time.

> 3) Is it possible to have proxy.config.cache.min_average_object_size and proxy.config.cache.target_fragment_size
on per volume basis ? It helps to better manage the kind of files and size of cache each disk
will store.

Could you please file a bug <https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/TS> for this feature,
including as much detail as you can about the configuration you need and the use case it addresses?

thanks!