From Christopher Arnold <arnol...@apple.com>
Subject Re: selectively clear device disk cache?
Date Wed, 02 May 2012 15:28:02 GMT
On that note, can someone explain the difference between the fragment setting and the min_average
size setting?  We have had this overflow issue when setting the fragment size to 2M and the
min_average to 10M or larger.  If I set the fragment size higher than 2M the traffic server
performance falls off a cliff or stalls out completely.

At the moment I have both set to 2M and have not seen the issue resurface although it's too
early to tell.

_stats reports that I have a max of 1M direntries with the above config.

Christopher Arnold
arnoldch@apple.com

Sent from my iPhone

On May 2, 2012, at 8:04 AM, Leif Hedstrom <zwoop@apache.org> wrote:

> On 5/2/12 9:00 AM, John Plevyak wrote:
>>
>> Means that you have too few directory entries for that disk.   Odd, unless you are
caching very small objects or have set the configuration for average object size too high.
> Right, this might be my fault :). They have mostly large files, with 1.7TB of disk, and
the default of 8KB average size creates way too many directory entries (wasting memory, disk
I/O and longer startup times). They should estimate how many objects they need, salt it appropriately,
and tune the config accordingly.