From Andrew Ashcroft <andrew.ashcr...@holidaylettings.co.uk>
Subject Lots of TCP time_wait connections
Date Fri, 24 Aug 2012 09:06:23 GMT
Morning all,

We're seeing a lot of TCP connections in time_wait on our origin servers and it's beginning
to effect the performance of the site.

It looks as though when the origin servers are busy and ATS doesn't get a response straight
away, loads of connections are opened and get stuck.

We currently have the following setting in records.config:

   ###################################
   # HTTP connection timeouts (secs) #
   ###################################
   # out: proxy -> origin server connection
   # in : ua -> proxy connection
CONFIG proxy.config.http.keep_alive_no_activity_timeout_in INT 115
CONFIG proxy.config.http.keep_alive_no_activity_timeout_out INT 120
CONFIG proxy.config.http.transaction_no_activity_timeout_in INT 30
CONFIG proxy.config.http.transaction_no_activity_timeout_out INT 30
CONFIG proxy.config.http.transaction_active_timeout_in INT 900
CONFIG proxy.config.http.transaction_active_timeout_out INT 0
CONFIG proxy.config.http.accept_no_activity_timeout INT 120
CONFIG proxy.config.http.background_fill_active_timeout INT 60
CONFIG proxy.config.http.background_fill_completed_threshold FLOAT 0.500000
   ##################################
   # origin server connect attempts #
   ##################################
CONFIG proxy.config.http.connect_attempts_max_retries INT 2
CONFIG proxy.config.http.connect_attempts_max_retries_dead_server INT 3
CONFIG proxy.config.http.connect_attempts_rr_retries INT 3
CONFIG proxy.config.http.connect_attempts_timeout INT 30
CONFIG proxy.config.http.post_connect_attempts_timeout INT 1800
CONFIG proxy.config.http.down_server.cache_time INT 300
CONFIG proxy.config.http.down_server.abort_threshold INT 10

Does anyone have any ideas as to:

a)      What could be happening

b)      If our settings above are correct

c)       What can be done to mitigate the issue

All suggestions/ideas will be appreciated!

Thanks,

Andrew