From Geert Lugtenberg <geert.lugtenb...@poort80.nl>
Subject RE: INACTIVE_TIMEOUT when using CNAME alias
Date Thu, 17 Jan 2013 15:37:06 GMT
Okay, here to answer my own question. And it pretty dumb that I didn't see it, as I'm sure
most of you did.

In the below setup, www.example.com<http://www.example.com> on the DNS points to the
load balancer. The balancer sends requests to TS and in remap.conf of TS I have this rule:

map http://www.example.com http://www.example.com

Of course, when resolving www.example.com<http://www.example.com>, TS maps to the load
balancer again! And so on. TS should be remapped to an ip address.

FYI

From: Geert Lugtenberg [mailto:geert.lugtenberg@poort80.nl]
Sent: donderdag 17 januari 2013 11:57
To: users@trafficserver.apache.org
Subject: INACTIVE_TIMEOUT when using CNAME alias

Hello all,

We are using Traffic Server to modify content in conjunction with HAproxy to balance. Our
setup for an example website is this:

Normal: www.example.com<http://www.example.com> -> origin.server.ip
CNAME alias: example.alias.somedomain.com -> HAproxy balancer -> Traffic Server proxy
-> origin.server.ip

When I map  haproxy.ip www.example.com<http://www.example.com>  in my local host file,
everything works fine. HAproxy balances and send the requests to TS, then on to the OS.
But when the alias is used (so host: www.example.com<http://www.example.com> but goes
to example.alias.somedomain.com), it does not work, and I get some errors in /error.log :

CONNECT:[1] could not connect [INACTIVE_TIMEOUT] to HAproxy.balancer.ip for 'some url'

Why do I get these error when using an alias? Should I modify the active timeouts in records.config?

Thanks.