From sridhar basam <sridhar.ba...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Too many CLOSE_WAIT on client connections
Date Tue, 08 Jan 2013 17:08:04 GMT
On Thu, Jan 3, 2013 at 10:03 AM, Leif Hedstrom <zwoop@apache.org> wrote:

> On 1/3/13 12:36 AM, Vladyslav Bachynskyi wrote:
>
>> Hi,
>> I've Found the root cause.
>> I have had to many CLOSE_WAIT connections because I've set
>> proxy.config.http.transaction_**active_timeout_in to 0.
>> By changing this variable the issue has been solved.
>> I thought, as such connections are not active, they should be fully
>> closed even without transaction_active_timeout_in.**..
>>

> Hmmmm. That seems somewhat odd that it'd help. It'd be interesting to look
> into why (that setting is necessary to keep at 0 for e.g. very large files
> (streaming media for example, or YouTube proxy/caching). Or alternatively,
> keep it very large (certainly much larger than 120s). What did you set it
> to ?
>
> What is the problem having connections in CLOSE_WAIT anyways? The kernel
> should clean that out after some time (like 120s or some such), no?

CLOSE_WAIT connections are going to get re-cycled by the kernel.
CLOSE_WAITs are due to the local application not performing a close on the
file descriptor even after the remote side has sent a FIN to close out its
side. The OP's close_wait output suggests ATS still thinks it can't close
out the client side connection for some reason.

 Sridhar