From "G. T. Stresen-Reuter" <tedmaster...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: How to Start Trafficserver on Init (Ubuntu Precise 12.04)
Date Mon, 18 Feb 2013 22:10:12 GMT
On Feb 15, 2013, at 3:16 PM, Williamson, Brad wrote:

> Ubuntu can be weird with some sudo commands, frequently the cause is missing environment
settings or it gets confused by the trailing &. To rule that out, and possibly give you
better error messages or results, try running your commands like this to see if it works better
for you:

> [brad@servername ~]$ sudo su -
> [root@servername ~]# trafficserver start
>
> Then see what is running. Mine looks like this (on RHEL, not Ubuntu, but should be similar
with yours being in /usr/bin)

> [root@servername ~]# ps -ef|grep traff
> root      6797     1  0 Jan15 ?        00:00:21 /usr/local/bin/traffic_cop
> nobody    6799  6797  0 Jan15 ?        00:10:05 /usr/local/bin/traffic_manager
> nobody    6834  6799  1 Jan15 ?        11:44:36 /usr/local/bin/traffic_server -M --httpport
80:fd=7,8080:fd=8
> root      7903  7833  0 07:10 pts/0    00:00:00 grep traff

Thanks for the pointers. Ubuntu doesn't allow logging in as root by default so I tried something
similar using sudo -i (which moves you into root's environment). On Ubuntu, the way to start
a service is "/etc/init.d/servicename start" where "servicename" in this case would be "trafficserver".
Unfortunately, the returned no result whatsoever and failed to launch the service.

It seems to me that this product is better supported on the RedHat side and this is on a Dell
server, which also has better support in RedHat, so I think I'm simply going to reinstall
and start from scratch :-(

Thanks again for your help.

Ted