From "G. T. Stresen-Reuter" <tedmaster...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: How to Start Trafficserver on Init (Ubuntu Precise 12.04)
Date Thu, 14 Feb 2013 09:47:37 GMT
On Feb 12, 2013, at 3:02 PM, Williamson, Brad wrote:

> I've had this script kicking around for a while. I'm sure the purists will have other
ways of doing things, but this works for me and added SNMP abilities to ATS that were not
otherwise available. I've posted it here: http://www.8layer8.com/?p=997
> Feel free to use and modify for your use.
> Brad

Thanks a lot for the ideas. Nice script! When I know more about this product I'm sure I'll
appreciate it even more...

I reviewed the script and see right off the bat that there are some inconsistencies among
platforms and/or versions. For example, in your script you use the trafficserver command (located
in /usr/local/bin) to control the server. On my installation (Ubuntu precise 12.04) that command
doesn't exist (probably because I installed it from a package). Rather, there are a series
of commands in /urs/bin starting with traffic_*

Somewhere else on the interwebs I saw someone say you should use traffic_manager to control
the server, but there is no man page associated with the program. If I run "sudo traffic_manager
start" everything seems to run properly but "sudo traffic_manager start &" or "sudo nohup
traffic_manager start" a really weird thing happens.... the process continues to run but the
command returns either 1 or 2 (can't remember) with a message saying it quit, and although
ps ax shows the service running, users seem unable to connect (but I could be wrong about
that... haven't tested thoroughly enough because I saw the error).

I've also tried using traffic_line as documented here:
http://trafficserver.apache.org/docs/trunk/admin/traffic-line-commands/index.en.html

but no love here either. The result of the command "sudo traffic_line -L" (which the documentation
would lead me to believe is to start up the service) is "error: the requested command failed"

So, any additional pointers would be greatly appreciated!

Sincerely,

Ted Stresen-Reuter