From Reindl Harald <h.rei...@thelounge.net>
Subject Re: Unable to locate the server named "localhost (2)"
Date Fri, 08 Mar 2013 10:20:11 GMT

Am 08.03.2013 10:55, schrieb Luca Rea:
> I don't think so, how many public DNS that resolve "localhost" do you know?
> I know there are some security issues related with that configuration.
>

> Server:         ns1.google.com
> Address:        216.239.32.10#53
>
> ** server can't find localhost: REFUSED

maybe you should use a public DNS which allows recursion
at all which is not the case on authoritative nameservers
and ns1.google.com is NOT a public NS which is indicated
by the "REFUSED" which is not the same as "NXDOMAIN"

[harry@srv-rhsoft:~]$ nslookup httpd.apache.org ns1.google.com
Server:         ns1.google.com
Address:        216.239.32.10#53

** server can't find httpd.apache.org.test.rh: REFUSED

____________________________________

the public NS auf my ISP
most likely it would not allow requests from foreign providers

[harry@srv-rhsoft:~]$ nslookup localhost 195.34.133.21
Server:         195.34.133.21
Address:        195.34.133.21#53

Non-authoritative answer:
Name:   localhost
Address: 127.0.0.1

[harry@srv-rhsoft:~]$ nslookup 127.0.0.1 195.34.133.21
Server:         195.34.133.21
Address:        195.34.133.21#53

Non-authoritative answer:
1.0.0.127.in-addr.arpa  name = localhost.

i have seen services like courier-MTA completly failing
because the DNS did not resolve localhost and this is
the reason why you SHOULD NOT use random ISP nameservers
if you rely on DNS and host services on your machines

Trafficserver is not the only service which does not use
/etc/hosts at all, it is common for any MTA