From Reindl Harald <h.rei...@thelounge.net>
Subject Re: Unable to locate the server named "localhost (2)"
Date Fri, 08 Mar 2013 10:36:38 GMT

Am 08.03.2013 11:29, schrieb Luca Rea:
> OpenDNS:
>
> Server:         208.67.222.220
> Address:        208.67.222.220#53
>
> ** server can't find localhost: NXDOMAIN
>

> Server:         208.67.222.222
> Address:        208.67.222.222#53
>
> ** server can't find localhost: NXDOMAIN
>
> I confirm your note about MTA

surely, you can find examples enough which does
not resolve as you find much more wrong configured
nameservers ignoring TTL, mangle responses and so

for me counts what RFC's are saying and on what widely
used services rely not which wrong configured ones
someone shows me trying to prove it is common
_______________________

https://tools.ietf.org/html/rfc1537

   Note that all domains that contain hosts should have a "localhost" A
   record in them.

   People maintaining zone files with the Serial number given in dotted
   decimal notation (e.g., when SCCS is used to maintain the files)
   should beware of a bug in all BIND versions: if the serial number is
   in Release.Version (dotted decimal) notation, then it is virtually
   impossible to change to a higher release: because of the wrong way
   that notation is turned into an integer, it results in a serial
   number that is LOWER than that of the former release.
_______________________

http://www.ietf.org/rfc/rfc1912.txt

4.1 Boot file setup

   Certain zones should always be present in nameserver configurations:

           primary         localhost               localhost
           primary         0.0.127.in-addr.arpa    127.0
           primary         255.in-addr.arpa        255
           primary         0.in-addr.arpa          0

   These are set up to either provide nameservice for "special"
   addresses, or to help eliminate accidental queries for broadcast or
   local address to be sent off to the root nameservers.  All of these
   files will contain NS and SOA records just like the other zone files
   you maintain, the exception being that you can probably make the SOA