From Anil J <anilj.mail...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: C++/Java Modules
Date Sat, 09 Mar 2013 04:08:19 GMT
Just realized that earlier reply just addressed to Leif. Addressing it to
mailing list.

On Fri, Mar 8, 2013 at 8:36 PM, Leif Hedstrom <zwoop@apache.org> wrote:

> On 3/8/13 6:28 PM, Brian Geffon wrote:
>
>> I do not think this is a good idea, if you're really looking to write
>> code in Java I would suggest maybe using Netty and writing a simple proxy
>> that way as opposed to using trafficserver. Alternatively, you could take
>> advantage of remapping to just rewrite the url to a special endpoint that
>> will fetch the original content and return a modified response to
>> trafficserver.
>>

> This is what people use the ICAP protocol for: http://www.ietf.org/rfc/**
> rfc3507.txt <http://www.ietf.org/rfc/rfc3507.txt>
>
> Are you suggesting to use ICAP interface instead of libCurl/HTTP, in the
module? Or the having a module in the HTTP path, which goes outside for
processing itself is not good idea? I still not clear about Brian's opinion
why not to use trafficserver.

In my use case, I just want to leverage the third party application servers
(e.g. transcoders) to adjust the media content to suite the end user
client's requirement.

I am using trafficserver because it gives me proxy and
other functionality out of the box. I do not have to develop it.

/anil.