From Leif Hedstrom <zw...@apache.org>
Subject Re: [VOTE] Release v3.3.2
Date Thu, 18 Apr 2013 17:59:14 GMT
On 4/18/13 11:41 AM, James Peach wrote:
> On Apr 18, 2013, at 10:25 AM, Bryan Call <bcall@yahoo-inc.com> wrote:
>
>> Couldn't resolve the origin hostname.  I had to turn on debugging in traffic server
and saw that it couldn't resolve the hostname for the origin server.  I don't remember if
the response to the client was an empty reply or if there was a valid http error response.
> Ick, that's nasty. We should make sure that it auto-upgrades hostDB for people coming
from 3.2 to 3.4. I filed https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/TS-1832

It does that. The issue is trying to run current trunk with a v3.2 config,
it doesn't work. The old config said "Please store 120,000 objects in 32MB",
and that worked fine. With the SRV changes, if you try that, it gets
confused, and won't do it (and apparently disables HostDB :). This is why
the default size was changed to 200MB.

I think we should do https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/TS-1811 before we
release v3.3.3 / v3.4, and then we don't have to worry about the "upgrade
path" to v3.4.

Fwiw, I agree that the configs are confusing, I never liked it. Feels like
we ought to have one, or the other, but not both. That's a different bug
though, there might even be one filed (I haven't looked).

Cheers,

-- leif