From Leif Hedstrom <zw...@apache.org>
Subject Re: ATS Storage Question
Date Fri, 18 Oct 2013 18:13:12 GMT
On Oct 18, 2013, at 11:57 AM, James Peach <jpeach@apache.org> wrote:

> On Oct 18, 2013, at 10:19 AM, Leif Hedstrom <zwoop@apache.org> wrote:
>

>> On Oct 18, 2013, at 11:12 AM, Adam W. Dace <colonelforbin74@gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>>> I'm essentially leasing a virtual machine on the cheap, and I didn't see any
such option from the company I'm hosting it with.

>> Does it use LLVM? If so, just carve off a piece of your virtualized disk as a raw
device. Raw device here doesn’t imply “physically raw device”, just something that does
not have a file system on it.

> You could also create the files you need, then mount them as raw devices over loopback.
That way you get to use files, but ATS treats them as raw devices.

That could also be useful as a way to identify where Adam’s slowdown is coming from: if
the loopback mounted device does not have the performance issues, then we know it’s entirely
ATS’s fault. If it’s the same performance issues as being on the FS directly, it’s due
to the kernel / virtualization.

I’m hoping the loopback test would yield the same results as using a DB file on the filesystem
directly :).

— Leif