From Reindl Harald <h.rei...@thelounge.net>
Subject Re: ATS Storage Question: Part 2
Date Sat, 19 Oct 2013 20:32:29 GMT

Am 19.10.2013 22:25, schrieb Adam W. Dace:
> Huh.  I'm running Linux kernel:
>
> Linux sparkle.adamdace.info <http://sparkle.adamdace.info> 3.9.3-x86_64-linode33
#1 SMP Mon May 20 10:22:57 EDT
> 2013 x86_64 x86_64 x86_64 GNU/Linux
>
> Does this sound right?  I'm thinking of trying to add:
> KERNEL=="xvdc",OWNER="nobody"
>
> to the file /etc/udev/rules.d/60-raw.rules
>
> One other question...if I get this wrong somehow will my Linux server even boot?

what are you doing here?
you can't add any random crap

you need to know the device on that machine and not write "xvdc" in a blackbox
the udev-file is supposed to change the owner of the *existing device* at boot
and not more but also not less, it would be the same "chown" it in a startup
script before ATS mut this way more clean, i am on systemd environments
where things are starting parallel

so do you have a new, spare disk you can use at RAW disk?
what device name has it?

ls -lha /dev/ would be a starting point

if you do not have a new virtual disk recognized by the kernel
taht all make spretty no sense - if you added a virtual disk
while the guest system is running maybe reboot it to recognize
the new drive before continue doing anything else

> On Sat, Oct 19, 2013 at 3:15 PM, Adam W. Dace <colonelforbin74@gmail.com <mailto:colonelforbin74@gmail.com>>
wrote:

>     I actually tried using MAKEDEV to create /dev/xvdc, chowned it to "nobody", and then
have ATS use that.

>     Unfortunately, then ATS gives me this error:
>
>     [Oct 19 13:13:55.782] Server {0x2aaaab113f60} WARNING: unable to open '/dev/xvdc':
-6, No such device or address
>     [Oct 19 13:13:55.782] Server {0x2aaaab113f60} WARNING: could not initialize storage
"/dev/xvdc" [unable to open]
>     [Oct 19 13:13:55.782] Server {0x2aaaab113f60} WARNING: no cache disks specified in
>     /usr/local/etc/trafficserver/storage.config: cache disabled
>
>     Any ideas?  I feel like I'm missing something.
>

>     On Sat, Oct 19, 2013 at 3:06 PM, Reindl Harald <h.reindl@thelounge.net <mailto:h.reindl@thelounge.net>>
wrote:

>         Am 19.10.2013 21:39, schrieb Adam W. Dace:
>         > This is really more of a Linux virtualization question, but I'd rather ask
you people than bother the hosting
>         > company if possible.
>         >
>         > First off, I was completely wrong about raw disk being available.  My apologies,
I should've checked.
>          That part is
>         > simple...they have a nice web GUI for that.
>         >
>         > Virtualization Software: Xen
>         > Host OS: CentOS 6.4
>         >
>         > What I'm stuck on is how do I access a raw disk volume from Linux?
>         >
>         > If it helps, my /etc/fstab looks like this:
>         >
>         > /dev/xvda       /               ext3    noatime,errors=remount-ro
0 1
>         > /dev/xvdb       none            swap    sw
0 0
>         > /proc           /proc           proc    defaults
0 0
>         > tmpfs           /dev/shm        tmpfs   nodev,nosuid,noexec
0 0
>         > devpts          /dev/pts        devpts  gid=5,mode=620
0 0
>         > sysfs           /sys            sysfs   defaults
0 0

>         you do not need it to acess from linux nor doe sit appear in fstab or df output
>         that is why it is called RAW disk, it is unformatted and under application control
>
>         in the case below (from production) the whole /dev/sdc disk is assigend
>         to ATS and the udev-rule is needed to allow the ATS user write access
>
>         nobody and nothig but ATS will ever access this drive
>         _____________________________________
>
>         [root@proxy:~]$ df
>         Dateisystem    Typ  Größe Benutzt Verf. Verw% Eingehängt auf
>         /dev/sdb1      ext4  5,8G    668M  5,2G   12% /
>         /dev/sda1      ext4  493M     34M  456M    7% /boot
>         _____________________________________
>
>         [root@proxy:~]$ cat /etc/trafficserver/storage.config
>         # Storage Configuration file
>
>         # /etc/udev/rules.d/50-ats.rules
>         # Apache Traffic Server owns disk for RAW access
>         # KERNEL=="sdc", OWNER="ats"
>
>         /dev/sdc
>         _____________________________________
>
>         [root@proxy:~]$ ls /dev/ | grep sd
>         brw-rw---- 1 root disk      8,   0 2013-10-11 19:36 sda
>         brw-rw---- 1 root disk      8,   1 2013-10-11 19:36 sda1
>         brw-rw---- 1 root disk      8,  16 2013-10-11 19:36 sdb
>         brw-rw---- 1 root disk      8,  17 2013-10-11 19:36 sdb1
>         brw------- 1 ats  root      8,  32 2013-10-19 22:05 sdc
>

>     --
>     Adam W. Dace <colonelforbin74@gmail.com <mailto:colonelforbin74@gmail.com>>
>
>     Phone: (815) 355-5848 <tel:%28815%29%20355-5848>
>     Instant Messenger: AIM & Yahoo! IM - colonelforbin74 | ICQ - #39374451
>     Microsoft Messenger - colonelforbin74@live.com <mailto:adam@turing.com>
>
>     Google Profile: https://plus.google.com/u/0/109309036874332290399/about

> Adam W. Dace <colonelforbin74@gmail.com <mailto:colonelforbin74@gmail.com>>
>
> Phone: (815) 355-5848
> Instant Messenger: AIM & Yahoo! IM - colonelforbin74 | ICQ - #39374451
> [...]

the lounge interactive design GmbH
A-1060 Vienna, Hofmühlgasse 17
CTO / CISO / Software-Development
m: +43 (676) 40 221 40, p: +43 (1) 595 3999 33
icq: 154546673, http://www.thelounge.net/

http://www.thelounge.net/signature.asc.what.htm