From Leif Hedstrom <zw...@apache.org>
Subject Re: ATS Storage Question
Date Fri, 18 Oct 2013 18:15:56 GMT
On Oct 18, 2013, at 12:10 PM, James Peach <jpeach@apache.org> wrote:

> On Oct 18, 2013, at 11:03 AM, Reindl Harald <h.reindl@thelounge.net> wrote:
>

>> Am 18.10.2013 19:57, schrieb James Peach:
>>> You could also create the files you need, then mount them as raw devices over
loopback. That way you get to use files, but ATS treats them as raw devices

>> with what benefit?
>>
>> they additional layer of looback on top of host-OS, guest-OS, guest-FS with all
>> the overhead of each layer? makes pretty no sense outside university studies
>> trying how many layers one can stuck in each other
>
> With the benefit that it will work within his virtualized constraints, and it will let
him add multiple cache devices. Obviously raw storage would be better, but this will work.

Btw, there is a bug filed on this issue with multiple DBs on the FS. It’s something Alan
had noticed as well, and it’s limited to one DB per mount point (I think?).

Fixing this would also be useful, but Adam, please make sure to file appropriate Jira’s
with your findings re: performance (I don’t know why a 4GB DB file would be slower than
a 2GB file).

— Leif

https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/TS-1869