From "Adam W. Dace" <colonelforbi...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Settings you "always" change
Date Fri, 18 Oct 2013 20:00:59 GMT
I've actually been working on my own personal question...How does one
configure ATS best as a forward-only proxy cache?

The answers I've found are documented on the
Wiki<https://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/TS/WebProxyCacheTuning>
.

I'm finally about 90% sure that I'm done tweaking options and can just
enjoy my cache.

On Thu, Oct 17, 2013 at 3:31 PM, Leif Hedstrom <zwoop@apache.org> wrote:

> On Oct 17, 2013, at 11:34 AM, Miles Libbey <mlibbey@apache.org> wrote:
>
> > Hi folks-
> > Want to get a sense of configuration settings that folks typically
> > change, in hopes of changing some of ATS' default settings.  For
> > instance, I'm betting that most people change storage.config to have a
> > cache bigger than 256MB.
> >
> > What other settings do you usually change?
>

> Here's mine :).
>
> 1. Always storage.config, depending on system I prefer a raw device,
> otherwise 2-4GB if it's primarily for "testing".
>
> 2. Usually volumes.config (4 volumes at 25% each to avoid the lock
> contention). This depends on the cache size too, you don't want to make too
> small volumes I think.
>
> 3. Always remap.config when in reverse proxy.
>
> 4. records.config for reverse proxy:
>
> proxy.config.http.server_ports STRING 80
> proxy.config.exec_thread.affinity INT 1
> proxy.config.url_remap.pristine_host_hdr INT 1
> proxy.config.cache.ram_cache.size INT 512M
> proxy.config.cache.ram_cache_cutoff INT 512K
> proxy.config.cache.min_average_object_size INT 16K
> proxy.config.cache.enable_read_while_writer INT 1
> proxy.config.http.background_fill_active_timeout INT 0
> proxy.config.http.background_fill_completed_threshold FLOAT 0.0
> proxy.config.http.cache.required_headers INT 2
> proxy.config.http.cache.ignore_client_cc_max_age INT 1  # This violates
> RFC 2616
> proxy.config.http.normalize_ae_gzip INT 1
> proxy.config.http.negative_caching_enabled INT 1 # Probably violates RFC
> 2616
> proxy.config.http.negative_caching_lifetime INT 30
>

> I do some other stuff too, but the above is something I always tweak.
>
> Cheers,
>
> -- Leif

Adam W. Dace <colonelforbin74@gmail.com>

Phone: (815) 355-5848