From "Adam W. Dace" <colonelforbi...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Tuning ATS for performance testing.
Date Tue, 22 Oct 2013 20:45:37 GMT
Just thought I'd jump in here and report that after seeing his email, just
for fun, I tried increasing proxy.config.system.mmap_max
from 2MB(default) to 8MB...then 16MB(my disk can read/write about 50MB/sec
so this seems reasonable).

All of a sudden my Bing Image Searches aren't running into a write lock
contention issue anymore.
I just may end up keeping this setting.  :)

On Tue, Oct 22, 2013 at 11:36 AM, James Peach <jpeach@apache.org> wrote:

> On Oct 22, 2013, at 6:17 AM, Pavel Kazlenka <
> pavel.kazlenka@measurement-factory.com> wrote:
>
> > Thank you all for your replies. I have new questions here.
> >
> > I'm trying to estimate performance of single ATS 'network' (main) thread
> (hope I'm using correct term). My thread-related configuration:
> > ONFIG proxy.config.exec_thread.autoconfig INT 0
> > CONFIG proxy.config.exec_thread.autoconfig.scale FLOAT 1.000000
> > CONFIG proxy.config.exec_thread.limit INT 1
> > CONFIG proxy.config.accept_threads INT 1
> > CONFIG proxy.config.cache.threads_per_disk INT 0
> > CONFIG proxy.config.ssl.number.threads INT 0
> > CONFIG proxy.config.task_threads INT 1
> > #Caching is off:
> > CONFIG proxy.config.http.cache.http INT 0
> >
> > I've found that memory-related options have a great impact on
> performance:
> >
> > CONFIG proxy.config.thread.default.stacksize INT 536870912
>
> 512MB stack size for thread? Wow, that seems like an awful lot.
>
> > CONFIG proxy.config.allocator.thread_freelist_size INT 524288
> > CONFIG proxy.config.system.mmap_max INT 5368709120
>
> This setting ends up calling mallopt(M_MMAP_MAX), see <
> http://man7.org/linux/man-pages/man3/mallopt.3.html>. From the
> description in the man page, I'd be surprised if setting this was useful in
> most cases.
>

> > My problem is that default values for the variables given above are
> extremely conservative. On the other hand, it's hard to pick up the good
> values for such a great range. Especially while these options are not
> really good documented.
> > So my questions are:
> > 1) What should be good values for machine with 6GB RAM for the three
> variables above (assuming that the only purpose of machine is running
> single thread of ATS to forward traffic with high rate and minimal delay)?
> > 2) Is there any guide/detailed documentation on these options?
> > 3) May be there's some kind of formulas based on common sense that could
> help to choose variables values based on proxy load (requests per second)?
>
> proxy.config.allocator.thread_freelist_size seems like a reasonable
> setting to tune. This is going to control how much memory will be
> permanently allocated to per-thread magazines. It's a tuning balance
> between how much memory you need to allocate to servicing transactions and
> how much memory should be used for RAM cache and other processes that are
> running on the box.
>
> FWIW I run my systems with
> proxy.config.allocator.thread_freelist_size=16K, though my workload and
> hardware configuration is pretty different from yours.
>
> > Device under test is Ubuntu 12.04 LTS, 64 bit, 6GB RAM, expected load is
> up to 15k requests per second.
> >
> > TIA,
> > Pavel
> >
> > On 10/17/2013 10:07 PM, Igor Galić wrote:

Adam W. Dace <colonelforbin74@gmail.com>

Phone: (815) 355-5848
Microsoft Messenger - colonelforbin74@live.com <adam@turing.com>

Google Profile: https://plus.google.com/u/0/109309036874332290399/about