From James Peach <jpe...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Can ATS keep more than 500mbit/s traffic for single instance?
Date Fri, 22 Nov 2013 17:37:11 GMT
On Nov 21, 2013, at 11:25 PM, Adam W. Dace <colonelforbin74@gmail.com> wrote:

> I haven't bothered, yet.

The reason I ask is that proxy.config.system.mmap_max is only used as the value passed to
mallopt(M_MMAP_MAX). So it's basically tuning glibc malloc, which is interesting given the
improvement you found by tuning it.

>  Although I'm hoping to build the next version with the boost C++ library in the hopes
that helps.

boost is only used to build the header_rewrite plugin.

> I'll take a look.
>

> On Thu, Nov 21, 2013 at 10:11 PM, James Peach <jpeach@apache.org> wrote:
>
> On Nov 21, 2013, at 7:57 PM, Adam W. Dace <colonelforbin74@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> > Also, once you've gotten past your immediate problem and are looking to deploy my
Wiki page may help:

> > https://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/TS/WebProxyCacheTuning
> >
> > To call it "best practices" would be a bit much, but I spent quite a bit of time
simply tuning ATS for my own uses.
> > The page is finally stable(i.e. I'm done now) and I'm quite pleased.  I'm hoping
once the next release is out the door
> > I can start bugging the commiters to take a look and review it.
>
> Yes, that's a nice piece of work! The effect of proxy.config.system.mmap_max is interesting;
were you ble to test with tcmalloc?

> > Regards,
> >

> > On Thu, Nov 21, 2013 at 9:53 PM, Adam W. Dace <colonelforbin74@gmail.com>
wrote:
> > If I'm not mistaken, that usually indicates the -incoming- HTTP connection limit
has been reached.
> > Unless you've modified the generic config, that usually clocks in at 30,000 simultaneous
connections.

> > Maybe you can tweak the test that's generating those connections and have them request
fewer, bigger objects.
> > You also might want to take a look at proxy.config.net.connections_throttle in records.conf.
> > I'm not sure what the impact of raising it might be, though.
> >

> > On Thu, Nov 21, 2013 at 2:46 PM, Pavel Kazlenka <pavel.kazlenka@measurement-factory.com>
wrote:
> > You are right, I see
> > >Server {0x2b74d72c1700} WARNING: too many connections, throttling
> > in diags.log
> >
> > My test simulates 1k origin servers and 1k user-agents on 500 clients (2 agents
per ip). Which kind of connections this warning about (client or server side?) and what can
be improved here?

> > On 11/21/2013 10:42 PM, Leif Hedstrom wrote:
> > On Nov 21, 2013, at 11:50 AM, Pavel Kazlenka <pavel.kazlenka@measurement-factory.com>
wrote:

> > Hi gentlemen,
> >
> > I'm trying to estimate maximum performance of ATS 4.0.2 on single server in forwarding
proxy mode.
> > Server hardware is 6-core CPU ( +6 cores with HyperThreading), 12Gb RAM and two
10G NICs (one in client LAN and another in server LAN).
> > ATS is configured with hwloc support, caching is disabled, squid blob logging is
disabled too.
> > I started from the config close to default: http://pastebin.com/AVQnJ4VL
> >
> > But whatever I tried, I cannot force ATS to keep more than 500mbit/s (6k requests/s
in my test) and do not start to drop requests. I tried to:
> > - limit working threads number to number of cores and let ATS decide how to map
threads to cores;
> > - leave 6 cores to NIC interrupts and bind ATS working threads + accept thread to
another cores so avoiding cores from changing tasks (ats/interrupts);
> > - play with memory related config variables: system.mmap_max, thread.default.stacksize,
allocator.thread_freelist_size, etc.

> > Hmmmm, that sounds bad. Have you verified that the origin side can do beyond this
? Is there anything in the logs about e.g. connection throttling, or anything else ? Is it
limiting the number of origin connections?

> > I’ll see if I can setup something in our lab to test this, it’s a bit unwieldy
right now, so not sure I can get access to something with this sort of capacity.