From "Adam W. Dace" <colonelforbi...@gmail.com>
Subject Optimizing ATS For Forward-Only Proxy Caching
Date Mon, 25 Nov 2013 02:22:48 GMT
Once more, thanks for your response.  I was planning on getting ahold of
someone after the next release of ATS but hearing from your early is great.

This is my first attempt at really tuning ATS, so apologies for the
teething problems.

I wanted to mention this setting in particular first, since it's really so
vital to the cache structure from what I understand.

Leif wrote:
"10. Your setting for proxy.config.cache.min_average_object_size seems
wrong. If your average object size is 32KB, you should set this to, hem,
32KB :). However, to give some headroom, my personal recommendation is to
2x the number of directory entries, so set the configuration to 16KB.

The math is mostly correct, except the calculation for "Disk Cache Object
Capacity” is in fact the max number of directory entries the cache can
hold. Each object on disk consumes *at least* one directory entry, but can
consume more (amc, what’s our current guideline here?). "

Just verifying here...the setting really is that simple?  Don't get me
wrong, I'll start using it immediately, but are there any "gotchas"?  I
appreciate your idea of having headroom but I'm really trusting the cache
itself to simply expire old objects and perhaps be a bit suboptimal if my
setting is wrong.

What I don't understand is the internal structure of the cache,
unfortunately it's just a big blob from my point of view.  :-)

Adam W. Dace <colonelforbin74@gmail.com>

Phone: (815) 355-5848
Microsoft Messenger - colonelforbin74@live.com <adam@turing.com>

Google Profile: https://plus.google.com/u/0/109309036874332290399/about