On Fri, Nov 22, 2013 at 11:25 AM, Shu Kit Chan <chanshukit@gmail.com> wrote:
I think in your "conditional request" example, the response does not have a X-From-Apache header.
The code is done in such a way that it will ignore add-header if the value is empty.

If I send a non-conditional request (but without the Pragma: no-cache like in the first example), I get X-ATS-1 like in the Pragma: no-cache example. So 200 responses, whether cached or not cached, are getting the header copied over by headers_rewrite, just not in 304's.

Is the not copying headers for a 304 expected behavior or should I open a ticket about it?

Not sure what you mean. There's no corresponding origin request for the conditional request, since it was successfully cached. The 304 is coming straight out of ATS and not re-requesting from the origin server. So presumably ATS is filtering the list of headers it makes available for the headers_rewrite module.

From what I can tell, the HttpTransact::build_response function in proxy/http/HttpTransact.cc seems to be doing that filtering.

If doing this via headers_rewrite turns out not to be an option, it *seems* like I could add a corresponding MIME_FIELD_*, MIME_LEN_*, and MIME_PRESENCE_* entry to the arrays there (in 4.1.1, lines starting with 7697), as well as adding:

* A new entry in proxy/hdrs/MIME.cc as well as the spots where things are assigned: MIME_LEN_* = hdrtoken_wks_to_length(MIME_FIELD_*);

* A new entry to the fields array in lib/ts/mkdfa.c : {"MyHeader", "MIME_FIELD_...", 0},

* Find a new slot in the 'tokenized string mime presence masks' define's for MIME_PRESENCE_* in proxy/hdrs/HdrToken.h

Though I'd obviously love to be able to do this without mucking with source code, since the likelihood of me causing random segfaults is high.